I think Almond Joys are underrated chocolates.
I love the combination of coconut surrounded by chocolate and that nice crunch from the almond. The flavors together are just magical and fun.
So this week, I thought, “why not turn almond joys into bread?”
I tweaked a simple sweet bread recipe to accommodate the coconut, chocolate, and almond flavors, and wow. Just wow.
This sweet bread variation blows me away every time I make it. The fluffs up nicely in the oven, and the split down the top is just gorgeous. The crust stays soft, and the inside tastes like heaven.
Just remember to let this bread cool all the way before you cut it! With so many delicious ingredients, Almond Joy Bread tends to fall apart when warm. Give it some time to set, and you’ll have a dessert loaf that your friends and family will rave about.
And want to know what else makes this bread so great?
You don’t need yeast at all. As a quick bread, this recipe doesn’t require additional rise time. Just stir the ingredients together, pop them in the oven, and you’re good to go.
Prep time: 10 to 15 Minutes
Rise time: None
Cook time: 1 Hour and 15 to 20 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour and 25 to 35 Minutes
For the complete Almond Joy Bread experience, you’ll want the following ingredients:
- 240 Grams (2 Cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 6 Grams (1 1/4 Teaspoons) Baking Powder
- 5 Grams (1 Teaspoon) Salt
- 175 Grams (3/4 Cups and 2 Tablespoons) White Sugar
- 275 Grams (1 1/4 Cup) Coconut Milk
- 4.2 Grams (1 Teaspoon) Coconut Extract
- 56 Grams (1/4 Cup) Butter
- 2 Large Eggs
- 71 Grams (3/4 Cup) Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- 35 Grams (1/4 Cup) Almond Slices
- 42 Grams (1/4 Cup) Chocolate Chips
If you don’t have everything, you can make a few substitutions and still enjoy tasty bread. For example, if you don’t have coconut milk, regular milk will work fine. If you don’t have coconut extract, almond extract or vanilla extract will also work, though the coconut flavor won’t come out as strong.
You should also note that you don’t need actual Almond Joy candy bars to make this recipe. They are not involved in any part of the baking process, unless you plan to snack on them while you stir.
Almond Joy Bread doesn’t require fancy tools or equipment. However, you do need the following kitchen basics available:
And don’t forget to wear oven mitts or use hot pads to stay safe!
Have all your ingredients and your baking gear on hand? Then it’s time to preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius).
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients: coconut milk, coconut extract, butter, and eggs.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Add the remaining coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and almond slices to the mix and stir gently to combine. Although you want to ensure all the ingredients are incorporated, do not overmix or you’ll end up with a flattened loaf and the chocolate chips will sink to the bottom.
After mixing, transfer the batter to a lightly greased baking pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the loaf. If it comes away clean, it’s done. If it has a few wet crumbs, you make need to bake for another 5 minutes.
Keep in mind that the chocolate chips make the toothpick test a little unreliable. If you have a digital thermometer, the temperature should read between 190 and 200 degrees Fahrenheit (87 and 93 degrees Celsius).
Let your loaf cool in the pan on the wire cooling rack for at least 15 minutes.
After the 15-minute mark, turn out the loaf onto the cooling rack to finish cooling.
As tempting as it is to cut into the loaf while it’s fresh from the oven, resist the urge and let the loaf cool completely. If you cut into the loaf prematurely, the slices will have a much harder time staying together.
Just the Basics
Almond Joy Bread
- 240 Grams All-Purpose Flour (2 Cups)
- 6 Grams Baking Powder (1 1/4 Teaspoons)
- 5 Grams Salt (1 Teaspoon)
- 175 Grams White Granulated Sugar (3/4 Cups and 2 Tablespoons)
- 275 Grams Coconut Milk (1 1/4 Cup)
- 4.2 Grams Coconut Extract (1 Teaspoon)
- 56 Grams Butter, Softened (1/4 Cup)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 71 Grams Sweetened Coconut Flakes (3/4 Cup)
- 35 Grams Almonds, Sliced (1/4 Cup)
- 42 Grams Chocolate Chips (1/4 Cup)
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit (176° Celsius).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients: coconut milk, coconut extract, butter, and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add the remaining coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and almond slices to the mix and stir gently to combine.
- Transfer the batter to a lightly greased baking pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick into the loaf. If it comes away clean, it’s done. If it has a few wet crumbs, you make need to bake for another 5 minutes.
- Let your loaf cool in the pan on the wire cooling rack for at least 15 minutes. Then turn out the loaf onto the cooling rack to finish cooling.
Secrets to Success
Almond Joy Bread is incredibly easy to make, even for beginners. You don’t have to worry about rise times or fussing with yeast.
But if you want to avoid a sunken loaf, avoid overmixing the bread. You want to stir the batter until the ingredients are just barely incorporated.
Also, if you have trouble with your loaf sticking to the pan, consider lining your pan with parchment paper so it lifts out easily.
Almond Joy Bread is an indulgent dessert with a lot of sugar and a lot of fun extras that add to the flavor. Because of all the sweets, it is a bit calorie-heavy.
Keep in mind that I cut my loaf into 12 slices. If your slices are bigger or smaller, then your nutrition per slice will vary.
Did You Try It?
I love hearing about your baking experience, so feel free to share your thoughts and comments in the section below. Did you leave out the almonds and make a Mounds loaf instead? Leave out the coconut and make a nutty bread? What would make this loaf better?
I’m always tweaking my recipes, so good comments and suggestions can help everyone.